Kennewick School Board Meeting October 12, 2011 5:30 PM
Board members present: Dawn Adams, Heather Kintzley, Lynn Fielding, Brian Brooks, Maricarmen Garcia
Absent: Kathy White
Superintendent Dave Bond reported –
- Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratory has published a book about the progress of Delta High School. Copies were presented to board members.
- About 1000 Kennewick high school students were tested on the PSAT today
- KSD’s LaPierre property did not sell due to zoning issues. KSD will work to resolve the zoning problem and offer the property for sale again.
- MAP testing is being done in first and second grade for the first time in Kennewick schools. Scores will be reported at the October 26 board meeting. Kennewick has dropped DRA testing.
- Kennewick’s second annual Report to the Community was held at the Administration Center on Friday, September 30. Approximately 65 community participants spent the day learning about the district’s test scores and programs. (note: we will present an article describing the event with supplemental KSD information in the near future).
Vic Roberts gave a comprehensive report of KSD’s levy history and future needs. See details below.
Ron Williamson presented the first reading of Policy No. 3122: Excused and Unexcused Absences. See details below.
A key issue is whether to leave the levy at the current rate or to raise it to produce additional funding for Kennewick schools when state funding is being reduced. Legislators have recommended that districts raise levy rates near to the levy lid so state funding is less of an issue. That places more responsibility on local taxpayers.
Kennewick has a history of community support for levy and bond issues but given the current economic climate the concern is whether support will remain strong if a tax raise is proposed.
While the district levy committee recommends keeping the levy rate at its current level, Adams expressed her concern that state budget cuts will compromise district programs and recommends consideration of raising the levy rate.
Policy No. 3122
Changes to KSD policy are proposed to bring district policy into alignment with new standardized statewide rules for excused absences. Adams raised a related issue about student absences which initiated board discussion. The board passed the first reading, with an amendment, unanimously.
Browse the levy report below or download the PDF. (right click or option+click and choose “save link as”)